Root Canal Therapy – Blackwell, OK
Save Your Tooth and Find Relief from Pain
Even if you have a severe toothache, you may hold back from visiting the dentist because you’re afraid that you might need a root canal in Blackwell, OK. But you might be surprised to learn that this treatment isn’t as bad as its reputation would lead you to believe. In fact, it can actually relieve your pain and get you back on the road to having a healthy, happy smile.
What Is Root Canal Therapy?
The root canal is the area inside your tooth’s root that contains the pulp and the nerve. When this area suffers from infection or damage, the result can be a massive toothache. Root canal therapy is a treatment wherein Dr. Neale carefully accesses the tooth’s inner chamber and removes the damaged tissue and the tooth’s nerve. Then, he fills in the tooth with a special substance called gutta percha. Often, a crown is necessary following root canal therapy to protect the tooth from further damage.
Thanks to anesthetic and sedation, you should be comfortable throughout the procedure. Afterward, your mouth may be swollen and sore, but such issues usually dissipate after just a few days. Once you’re healed, your tooth will feel much better, and you’ll be able to go back to enjoying your life without tooth pain.
Signs You May Need Root Canal Therapy
In addition to a toothache, some signs that you may need root canal therapy include:
- A tooth is significantly darker than the ones around it
- There is redness or swelling in the gums
- A tooth is sensitive to hot and cold, and the pain lingers even after the source of the temperature change is gone
- There is a small, pimple-like bump on the gums
- It is vital that you visit your dentist right away if you suspect that you need root canal therapy. If an infection in the tooth or gums spreads into the surrounding tissue, you could end up with a fever or other serious systemic health problems.
Root Canal Therapy Vs. Extraction
Sometimes, tooth extraction is necessary. However, root canal therapy can often save a damaged tooth and restore its function. Opting for this treatment over tooth removal has several benefits:
- Root canal therapy may cost less than replacing a tooth later on.
- Losing a tooth can lead to bone deterioration and drifting of the remaining teeth.
- Even after root canal therapy, your treated tooth will be stronger and easier to care for than a fixed bridge.
Our team is always ready to help patients who need root canal therapy or other emergency treatment. To learn more about this procedure or to schedule an appointment, contact Blackwell Dentistry.